Termites can cause significant damage to structures, leading to costly repairs if not addressed in a timely manner. Unfortunately, there's more than one type of termite that can invade your home; and depending on the species present, they may require different treatment methods.
Here are some common types of termites found in Sebastian and surrounding areas:
- Subterranean termites: These are the most common type of termite that plagues the area and can cause a great deal of damage. They live in colonies underground and build mud tubes to gain access to wood for food.
- Drywood termites: Unlike subterranean termites, drywood varieties do not need contact with soil moisture; they nest directly inside wooden structures, often making it difficult to detect them until major damage has already been done.
- Formosan termites: Like their subterranean cousins, Formosan termites require moisture from the soil and typically enter buildings through foundation cracks. They can be particularly destructive due to their ability to set up multiple colonies within a single structure.
Whether you are currently having a pest issue or want to prevent one from starting, we will protect the home by treating both the interior and exterior.
Termites typically do the majority of their damage without you knowing. They are known to be quiet and hidden, often making it difficult to detect their presence until serious damage has already been done. If you think an infestation may have taken hold on your property, there are a few key signs to watch out for:
- Unusual noises coming from walls or ceilings. Termites eat through wood from the inside out and can cause creaking or cracking sounds that can be heard during nighttime hours when the house is otherwise quiet.
- A swarm of flying bugs congregating near windowsills or around porch lights at night. These are usually termite swarmers, part of the insect's reproductive cycle, meaning an established colony is nearby.
- Termite droppings on the ground outside your home. These are produced from a mature colony that is actively feeding on wood within your structure.
- Discoloration or “spots” on wood surfaces where wings and body debris have been left behind after swarms occur.
- Mud tubes built on walls, foundations, and other areas that provide easy access to food sources like wood beams, tree stumps, and fallen branches in nearby yards. These tubes act as highways for termites to transport food back and forth between their colonies and food sources without exposing themselves to predators and sunlight.
Preventing Termites In Your Home
Termites can cause significant damage to your home, so it's essential to take steps to prevent infestations. Here are some practical tips to help protect your property:
- Reduce Moisture: Termites thrive in damp environments, so it's crucial to eliminate any sources of excess moisture around your home. Fix leaky pipes, ensure proper drainage away from the foundation, and use a dehumidifier in humid areas.
- Inspect Your Home: Regular inspections can help catch any signs of termites before they can do significant damage. Hire a professional inspector to check for infestations or damage regularly.
- Remove Wood Debris: Termites love to feed on wood, so it's essential to keep any wood debris away from your home's foundation. This includes piles of firewood, lumber, or fallen branches.
- Use Termite-Resistant Materials: When building or renovating your home, use termite-resistant materials like concrete, steel, or pressure-treated wood.
- Seal Entry Points: Termites can enter your home through small cracks or gaps, so it's crucial to seal any potential entry points. This includes gaps around pipes or wires, foundation cracks, or gaps in windows or doors.
By following these tips, you can help prevent termites from infesting your home and causing costly damage. Remember, prevention is key when it comes to termite control.
Termite Treatment Experts in Sebastian
At Sandpiper Pest Control, our technicians are highly experienced in eliminating termite infestations throughout Sebastian and surrounding areas. With over 25 years of experience in the industry, we have developed a comprehensive approach to ensuring that your home or business is protected from these destructive pests long-term.
From detailed WDO inspections to proven tools and techniques such as baiting, perimeter treatment, wood treatment, and more – we will work with you every step of the way to eliminate current infestations as well as prevent future ones. Our commitment is to provide top-notch service using only the best products on the market so that you can rest assured knowing your property is safe from termites.
If you are in need of termite control services, call our team at (772) 494-2290 or contact us online today to schedule a free estimate. We look forward to helping you protect your property from destructive termite infestations!
So far, so good! We've been with Sandpiper since we moved to Sebastian 6 months ago. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to replace my former hometown pest control company in Clermont when I moved, but Sandpiper proved my fears to be unwarranted! I love that small, local business experience and that's what I get with Sandpiper Pest Control. Keep up the great work, Sandpiper!Scott S.
We are a family owned and operated pest control company serving Indian River and Brevard counties since 1998. We're licensed and insured with experienced and knowledgeable technicians. Some treatments we provide include: general household pests, lawn & ornamental, termites, mosquitoes, bedbugs, fleas & ticks, and rodent removal & exclusions.9350 US Highway 1
Sebastian, FL 32976